She calls to me

Is it wrong to drool over a bike? I got my first mountain bike when I was about 14. I can still remember how it looked and how it felt flowing through the forest over rocks, dirt, and silently through a trail bedded with pine needles. No day was complete without riding it. I kept it immaculate. It would get muddy as h*** and it would be shining again within 24 hours.

But that bike was just above "entry level". It was a gateway to a world of seemingly limitless levels of materials, suspension systems, and components. In particular I fell in love with Shimano components, XT to be exact. XTR always seemed extravagant... more than needed. But oh how XT called to me. So pretty. A bike set up with XT was the s*** in my book and the guys I rode with. We would talk about it the way we talked about girls. But it seemed to be a pie too high in the sky as a teenager without a job or a beer money job. But now it calls to me again in the form below. Do I go and get it? Or do the responsible thing and keep hammering on the current bike? To get it would be a life long dream attained. But as I said when I started this blog, I am also a dad, and with that comes many others things that dollars can be applied to. We shall see what wins out in the end. No matter what I will be riding and I will feel the flow through the forest.


Comments

Anti-Supermom said…
I like that you titled this 'she calls to me'.

Is it the bike or your wife?!

Popular posts from this blog

nowhere but up from here

First blood

Mother's Day revenge