we shall overcome

things to be nervous about in the change from Sport to Comp class this year:

-later start time (1:15 instead of 11) cutting into Woo's nap time and making racing even more of a challenge to fit into a family.
-more distance (around 18 miles instead of around 13). how do i stay alive for the extra lap?
-more technical sections designed to kill people (maybe not kill you but make for an embarrasing photo posted later that week).

just wanted to write these down to get it out and to look at it later and see what was overcome.

another note, i did a lot less lifting this spring (as in none) thinking that it may be a waste of time. it isn't. some upper body strength definately helps. not much is needed but i think once or twice a week for about 30 to 34 minutes will make a good diff.

can't wait to see the look on Woo and Henry's faces after this weekends Freewheel Frolic.

today's morning ride: 68 minutes, 16.8 av, 21 miles

Comments

JoshRLC said…
The Frolic is a good race to break you into that longer distance. I've also noticed that upper body strength is important. My upper body is more worn out after racing than my legs are. But then again I'm riding rigid. Your full susser should help you out there. Good luck! See you on Saturday. BTW, it interupts my nap time too. I might be crabby!
Pierat said…
It will be fun to see how well you do. I am also making the transition from what can be considered a sprint to the Sport class length. I find that I have to lift to keep my bone density up and the back strong. But I am slow... I would be interested in riding with you in the morning from time-to-time this summer. Email me if it suites your fancy.
JoshRLC said…
BTW, remember to stay fueled and hydrated during the Comp race. The longer race requires you to drink more and eat more. Don't think you'll be able to make it on one water bottle. Well, you might be able to, but I'd say that extra distance puts you over the edge as far as glucose stores go. Johnny K gave us a little reminder of that at this Saturday's race. Salem hills might not be a big deal, but Afton will be. That was the biggest change for me last year from Sport to Comp. I was on the verge of cramping in all of the Comp races but none of the Sport races. Maybe you're different, but it's worth keeping in mind.

Popular posts from this blog

nowhere but up from here

First blood

Mother's Day revenge